Thursday 27 May 2010

Eating in Penmaenmawr - the Bistro

I ate at the Bistro in Pantyrafon on Bangor Road in Penmaenmawr on Sunday evening. Unusually for me I didn't take the camera so I have no photos. I understand from Brian and Enfys, with whom we were staying, that the Bistro was opened last year and they were keen that we try it.

Decor was quite twee inside. The menu was not extensive but I was well satisfied with the quality. However watch out for a couple of points. There is no price against any of the starters. Prices are against the main courses and initially look quite steep. But - the price of the main course includes any starter and any desert so the final price is quite competitive for a three course meal. The second point to note is that the main courses all contained meat. However, for the vegetarians (and there was one in our party) the problem was solved by asking for the salmon ardennes without bacon. (He is a vegetarian who eats fish.) I had the same dish with bacon and can recommend it.

The staff generally were quite helpful and chatty, especially when I asked them to put Tom Jones back on instead of the music they had put on!

There's no parking outside the restaurant but there is a car park less than a minute's walk away behind Penmaenmawr Library (bottom of Fernbrook Road). If you are staying in Penmaenmawr however, it's central so walk there instead.

The restaurant is licensed and wine prices are typical for that type of establishment.

Recommendation: definitely worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment