Sunday 30 August 2015

Philadelphia: Money in Motion

Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank Aug 15 (1)

Next on our list of places to visit was the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. There was an exhibition called Money in Motion. If you are interested in the history of money in the USA, this is definitely for you. Sadly, photos were not allowed inside but we were given as a momento a small bag of shredded dollars. $100 dollars of old notes taken out of circulation went into each bag. When I got back to my flat in London from the US, I discovered my suitcase had been searched by security at JFK airport in New York. I suspect the bags of shredded dollars had shown up on an x-ray machine looking suspiciously like a sachet of drugs. You can imagine the disappointment of officers as they rummaged through my suitcase and all my dirty clothes to discover that the offending articles were simply holiday souvenirs issued by the Federal Government!

Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank Aug 15 (2)

Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank Aug 15 (3)

Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank Aug 15 4

By the way, it was free to get in to the exhibition. Had there been a charge, I wonder if I could pay with shredded dollars!?

No comments:

Post a Comment