Wednesday 19 August 2015

Washington Monument

Washington Monument July 15 19

No trip to Washington DC is complete without a visit to the Washington Monument. So after lunch we headed to the National Mall. There was the Monument in all its simplistic glory. It was also much bigger than I expected. I took the shot above lying on my back with the sum behind. Notice the change in the colour of the stone part way up the Monument. If my history is correct, the bottom was built but then the money ran out. When work started again, the quarry that supplied the marble was exhausted. A near but not quite exact match was found. The difference I reckon adds to the richness of the history of Washington.

Washington Monument July 15 9

This photo gives a better idea of the scale of the Monument.

Washington Monument July 15 12

Washington Monument July 15 3

No comments:

Post a Comment